Staff at Sandwell Community School want all campuses to be safe and happy environments for all of our pupils. We take a holistic and nurturing approach to education and are keen to develop the whole individual. We have adopted a range of strategies to support both the academic and socio-emotional development of our young people.
Our Pastoral Team is made up of Learning Mentors, Learning Support Assistants, a Pastoral Manager, Alternative Provision Co-ordinator, SENCO, Attendance Officer, Heads of Campus and an Executive Head.
Currently our Pastoral Team is involved in:
• Mentoring young people to reduce barriers to learning.
• Organising informal education programmes which focus on enhancing young people’s social skills and improving their self-esteem and self-belief
• Encouraging good attendance and supporting our pupils academic attainment
• Supporting and working with families/carers
• Organising off-site activities, football, basketball sessions, creative arts, cooking and educational visits.
• Careers education – organising work experience placements for year 10 and 11, pupils as well as assisting Year 11 pupils with applications to college, training providers and to seek employment or apprenticeships in their chosen field.
• Supporting young people whilst they re-integrate into mainstream school.
We work in close partnership with a wide range of specialists from other agencies. These include:
• Early Help
• Social Services
• Education Psychology Service
• Youth Offending Team
• Community Health Services: School Nurses, CAMHS
• Family Solutions Team
• Sandwell Womens Aid
• Educational Welfare Service
• Sandwell Rewind
• The Fire Service
• The Police
We strongly believe that it is only by working as a team with a unified vision and commitment, that we can improve the life changes of our young people.